Glyphin » Forums » Glyphin alpha 2 is here
Telash
Mikael Johansson
94 posts / 1 project
#16139 Glyphin alpha 2 is here
2 months, 2 weeks ago Edited by Mikael Johansson on Aug. 30, 2018, 7:48 p.m. Reason: Initial post

It is now 6 months since I wrote the first line of code on the new Glyphin editor. The first 3 months I also worked full time as a developer, but quit my job at the end of may to focus on Glyphin full time. At the start of august I changed to alpha 2 as my main editor and buried the old 1.2 for good. I have never been happier with a change :)

I feel that it is now at a state where more people then me could benefit from the program.
So why should you care?

The biggest change since the old Glyphin is the performance. It can still handle large files just like the old one, but the render performance is at least 10 times faster then the old one, making it possible to run Glyphin on small hardware. In theory it should work on a raspberry pi 3, if it handles opengl, with smooth scroll and syntax highlighting. My raspberry pi is broken, so has not been able to test it :(

A lot of other things have changed as well. It handles international keyboards way better now. Mouse is only needed to change sizes of windows, every thing else can be done from the keyboard.
No project files. Just let it know what types of files to open, and open entire directories.

It now works for BOTH windows and Linux. (not tested hard on linux, and vsync seems to not be working)

This is super early alpha, the settings file is kinda messy, and expect bugs. But so far I am really happy with the result!

I will show more from the project when there is time. I fully understand if some want to wait to back the project before they know more.

It can be downloaded by patreons at: https://www.patreon.com/Glyphin

The biggest obstacle to great software is lack of motivation. Motivate each other!
Instead of reinventing the wheel, we should put chariot wheels on jet planes!
Telash
Mikael Johansson
94 posts / 1 project
#16140 Glyphin alpha 2 is here
2 months, 2 weeks ago

One feature in alpha 2 that has really improved my work flow is the new jump to compile message, with the message showing directly under the cursor. Currently working with gcc and g++.

The biggest obstacle to great software is lack of motivation. Motivate each other!
OliverMarsh
Oliver
86 posts / 2 projects

A budding game developer and programmer

#16142 Glyphin alpha 2 is here
2 months, 2 weeks ago

sounds good, you should also do a Mac build ;)
Telash
Mikael Johansson
94 posts / 1 project
#16143 Glyphin alpha 2 is here
2 months, 2 weeks ago

Eventually I will of cource. But for now I do not have a mac to do the build on.