Glyphin » Forums » New beginings
Telash
Mikael Johansson
83 posts
1 project
#13884 New beginings
5 months, 3 weeks ago

I already started a thread about this in the general forum, but thought it can be a good idea to go into a bit more depth here:

Glyphin (at least in its current state) isn't happening for me anymore. I am constantly rebuilding, and every time I fall into deep rabbit holes where I focus on performance, or an interesting design pattern. It has not been a waste in any way for me personally. I now know how to build an editor for raspberry pi, that can have smooth scroll in 60fps, and with syntax highlighting. I also know how to design it to handle files of insane sizes (at least 1TB) with very little memory. I love solving problems, and doing little "proof of concepts" like that. But I can not find the motivation to make my concepts into a complete quality editor right now.

So need to try something new. And as a social person, I think I would love to start doing some streaming. I have been resistant to it in the past since I am a fairly new programmer (have been programming for about 2.5 years, but every day since), and because English is not my native tongue. But I think it is time to try.

However, I can not decide if I should leave the editor all together, and start a completely different project in this stream (thinking about an rts-game, like old school dune/c&c95), it would also give me a reason to start composing again (my background is as a composer), or if I should make a reborn Glyphin from scratch where I cover the basics of making an editor first, before going into the depths of optimization.

This may not make much sense, but neither does my brain right now :D

So, any thoughts would be helpfull.

The biggest obstacle to great software is lack of motivation. Motivate each other!
Instead of reinventing the wheel, we should put chariot wheels on jet planes!
marknevarrik
Mark Nevarrik
5 posts
1 project
#13894 New beginings
5 months, 3 weeks ago

Hi Mikael,

I think you have the right approach of taking something until the end—going down a rabbit hole—to see where it leads you and to learn from that.

John Carmack rewrote the Quake engine multiple times before getting it fast enough to ship. And he keeps rewriting engines.

As for what to pick—you have a good problem that you have many good options to choose from. Sometimes it can be hard to pick among them because they all "feel" like good options and so there is no clear winner. So you keep thinking, researching, to find something that makes it a clear winner. But sometimes they just keep staying neck and neck. In this case, you can pick any knowing that selecting and benefiting from any project, is better than the indecision.

Another way of putting this is: nothing is as good as you first expected it to be. But also is nothing as bad as you feared it to be.

There are no "wrong" choices, because each choices gives you more information.

You could also try writing out a brainstorm of what does Mikael want out of a project, and then when you have defined the problem well enough—you can take your qualifiers and apply them to the projects, and maybe that will help you with the tie breaker.

But every project has its fascinating bits—the moment you commit to something and benefit from the opportunities that it can provide you.