Glyphin » Forums » Salvage or rebuild
Telash
Mikael Johansson
94 posts / 1 project
#13223 Salvage or rebuild
1 year, 1 month ago

Well, the new build of Glyphin is a bust. The code is way prettier then the old code. (Any code is prettier then the old code :D) But it doesn't even come close in performance on many things, witch kind of defeats the purpose of Glyphin. The irony is that during these 3 months I have been using the old Glyphin to build the new one, and it has served me well. A side from a few minor visual bugs, it has been stable. No crashes or major bugs in 3 months at all. So the old Glyphin is a good, fast and stable ground, but with messy code. Some things will be really hard to do in it.

So, should I continue working in it, or use the skills I picked up from the new build, and make a 3rd build. One that focus on using the performance from the first build, and even a better design then the 2nd one?

Will a much nicer looking code even help me solving the big problems? Or make my work smoother in the long run?
I understand that even the question is a bit of a mess, but welcome to my brain :D

The biggest obstacle to great software is lack of motivation. Motivate each other!
Instead of reinventing the wheel, we should put chariot wheels on jet planes!
Telash
Mikael Johansson
94 posts / 1 project
#13225 Salvage or rebuild
1 year, 1 month ago

Well, after reading this great artice: https://www.joelonsoftware.com/20...hings-you-should-never-do-part-i/
my mind is made up :D I will go back to the old code base. So next up will be Glyphin 1.3 instead.

The biggest obstacle to great software is lack of motivation. Motivate each other!
Instead of reinventing the wheel, we should put chariot wheels on jet planes!