Glyphin » Forums » Salvage or rebuild
Telash
Mikael Johansson
52 posts
1 project
#13223 Salvage or rebuild
2 weeks ago

Well, the new build of Glyphin is a bust. The code is way prettier then the old code. (Any code is prettier then the old code :D) But it doesn't even come close in performance on many things, witch kind of defeats the purpose of Glyphin. The irony is that during these 3 months I have been using the old Glyphin to build the new one, and it has served me well. A side from a few minor visual bugs, it has been stable. No crashes or major bugs in 3 months at all. So the old Glyphin is a good, fast and stable ground, but with messy code. Some things will be really hard to do in it.

So, should I continue working in it, or use the skills I picked up from the new build, and make a 3rd build. One that focus on using the performance from the first build, and even a better design then the 2nd one?

Will a much nicer looking code even help me solving the big problems? Or make my work smoother in the long run?
I understand that even the question is a bit of a mess, but welcome to my brain :D

The biggest obstacle to great software is lack of motivation. Motivate each other!
Telash
Mikael Johansson
52 posts
1 project
#13225 Salvage or rebuild
2 weeks ago

Well, after reading this great artice: https://www.joelonsoftware.com/20...hings-you-should-never-do-part-i/
my mind is made up :D I will go back to the old code base. So next up will be Glyphin 1.3 instead.

The biggest obstacle to great software is lack of motivation. Motivate each other!