Glyphin » Forums » Crossroads
Telash
Mikael Johansson
52 posts
1 project
#12508 Crossroads
4 months, 1 week ago

To program an editor is hard. Really hard, since so many people are used to so many different things.

Working with Glyphin has come to a place where some things are just too hard to do. Way harder than they should be. I know how to solve it, but that means I have to restart the project. It means that Glyphin releases will come to a halt for now, but it will lead to a much stronger healthier, and way more awesome Glyphin in the future. The plans are big, and I know Glyphin will get there next time.

The good news is that I release Glyphin Alpha 1.2 into the wild. It will be free to download today on Patreon. I still need funding, since I work on this full time, and have no other income. So if you like what you see so far, and want a much better Glyphin in the future, please support me on Patreon. Any support is great support.

The biggest obstacle to great software is lack of motivation. Motivate each other!
Telash
Mikael Johansson
52 posts
1 project
#12526 Crossroads
4 months, 1 week ago

If any of you download Glyphin and try it, please leave a comment here about how you feel about it. Will be of alot of help during the redesign.

The biggest obstacle to great software is lack of motivation. Motivate each other!
mrmixer
Simon Anciaux
286 posts
#12538 Crossroads
4 months, 1 week ago

I tried it, here is some feedback:
- it has already been said but keyboard only controls (no mouse) is a pretty important thing to have, and also being able to rebind everything;
- support for any keyboard layout is also important (it's the cause of most problems I have).
--- Why is there a need to bind "shift based characters" like number keys ?
--- As an example, in the bépo layout ':' is shift + '.' and since it isn't in the default bindings, I can't input it and I can't create a binding for it (since I need to type it) which makes the whole thing silly;
--- the bépo (or azerty) layout require "shift" for number keys, but not in Glyphin;
- Finding some way to specify characters (for bindings) without having to know the character code would be useful. 4coder uses helper functions to do that. e.g. bind( something, get_key_code( "é" ) );
- Home / End keys don't work;
- On startup the window header (window name, minimize, maximize and close buttons) is off screen on my monitor (1920 * 1080);
- I don't know if you require a project to open files but if it's the case I think it's a bad idea. As I can't write ':' in Glyphin (see above) I couldn't type an absolute path to try opening a file outside the project.
- Rebinding seems to leave the default bindings, so there are several key combinations doing the same thing and it can conflict with new bindings;
- Autocomplete for file name when opening file would be useful;
- Smooth scrolling is too slow;
- I think that some keys shown in the readme.txt file might no be up to date;

Those are personal preferences:
- I don't like that autocomplete uses a pop up, I prefer the "iterate over completion" method;
- For selection I prefer the mark/cursor model;

Good luck !
Telash
Mikael Johansson
52 posts
1 project
#12540 Crossroads
4 months, 1 week ago Edited by Mikael Johansson on July 18, 2017, 4:05 p.m.

Well, key bindings was no where near complete, mostly because I dont have the keyboards to try on.
I am not sure I understand everything you wrote, but will try to reply the best I can.

1. It is way harder to implement good mouse handling, that is why I started with that. I am not sure I will do it that way in the redesign thou.
2. Not sure what you mean with number keys? Key 7 ofcource give character 7. But with shift, 7 wont give you the same character on all keyboards. On Swedish keyboards for example we have 3 characters on most number keys, while US keyboards only use shift.
3. Avery ascii character should be preshown ofcourse, I never got around to fixing that, however, it is fully possible to bound any character, by typing CHAR <ascii-value>:
In your case it would be CHAR 58: shift .
4. I dont understand the issue here?
5,6,7 Havent had the time to adress that yet
8. No, you dont need a Project, and you dont need ":" either. ":" is used to open a file in Glyphins directory without Writing the full path. You can still open any file by just Writing the full path. Also, the last 10 written commands is autosaved, just use up/down-Arrows to get them back.
9. Yes, it leaves default bindings, but if you override the default bindings with Another action, there should be no conflict. Have you tried that?
10. Agreed, just havent had the time for it yet.
11. Yes, scroll speed will be customizible. And possible to be more static.
12. Witch one? They all work for me.

About the popup, that is a tricky thing. A popup is a bit in the way, and to just iterate is to hidden in my opinion. I will see if I can Think of a better compromise, or maybe just make it possible to use both.

What is it with mark/cursor you like, and why? The ability to set with a key/right click?

mrmixer
Simon Anciaux
286 posts
#12541 Crossroads
4 months, 1 week ago

You don't need different keyboards to test different layouts, you can change layout in windows and set shortcuts to switch between them on the fly.

Telash
2. [...]Key 7 ofcource give character 7.

Telash
4. I dont understand the issue here?

On azerty (or bépo and other layouts) which are french keyboard layouts, it's the other way around: you need to press shift to get 7 and the normal character is 'è'.

I know there are several character on one key, my point is that the user should not have to set special bindings to get character on the screen, even characters that require shift or Alt Gr (unless she/he wants something special).

Telash
8. No, you dont need a Project, and you dont need ":" either. ":" is used to open a file in Glyphins directory without Writing the full path. You can still open any file by just Writing the full path. Also, the last 10 written commands is autosaved, just use up/down-Arrows to get them back.

My problem there was that since I couldn't input ':' due to the keyboard problem, I couldn't type "D:\temp\somefile.c".

Telash
9. Yes, it leaves default bindings, but if you override the default bindings with Another action, there should be no conflict. Have you tried that?

I tried it. I bound "copy" to "ctrl + x" ('x' key bépo == 'c' key qwerty) and "cut" to "ctrl + y" ('y' key bépo == 'x' key qwerty). When I try to copy it actually cuts the text.

Telash
What is it with mark/cursor you like, and why? The ability to set with a key/right click?

- I'm used to it.
- It allows you to "keep the selection" and continue to modify the text or do some other action (since there isn't really a selection) and prevents you to inadvertently lose the selection.
- In 4coder I also use the mark as a quick bookmark.

Maybe this thread about keyboard inputs could help you.