Glyphin » Forums » Glyphin Alpha 1.2 Review
Chen96
Chen
81 posts / 1 project

Some guy trying to make some video game.

#12431 Glyphin Alpha 1.2 Review
1 year, 4 months ago

I subscribed to Mikael's patreon when Glyphin first came out, and here's my experience using it. As a text editor in alpha stage, Glyphin inevitably lacks some of the features that other editors, such as vim, have. However, the author is very responsive to any emails I sent him on bug report and feature requests, and pushes out the fixes and improvements quickly. Here's a quick overview of Glyphin at its current stage.

The good parts:

Glyphin feels modern. It's a text editor that has both good user experience and performance. Its colorscheme and syntax higlighting can be customized, and the change is immediate; I didn't have to call a command like :so% or "eval-buffer", the changes apply right when I save the customization files.

The bad parts:

Glyphin lacks ways to navigate through text quickly with a keyboard. I had to use mouse to do most of the operations, such as splitting pane, switching pane, and so on. I am used to editing and moving using keyboard only, so I can't switch to Glyphin yet until that feature is added. Project mechanism is nice, but editing everything that's not already a Glyphin project is quite tedious, as the editor accept absolute path for opening files if the file is not in a project.

I am working on Monter
Telash
Mikael Johansson
94 posts / 1 project
#12435 Glyphin Alpha 1.2 Review
1 year, 4 months ago

Thanks for the review!

About your last part. If you just type in a file name it creates/opens it in the current projects directory. And ctrl+o prewrites the current directory. Hopefully that makes file opening a little less horrible until I have improved that part.

The biggest obstacle to great software is lack of motivation. Motivate each other!
Instead of reinventing the wheel, we should put chariot wheels on jet planes!
Chen96
Chen
81 posts / 1 project

Some guy trying to make some video game.

#12446 Glyphin Alpha 1.2 Review
1 year, 4 months ago

Thanks for the tip!

I am working on Monter