Glyphin » Forums » Glyphin Alpha 1.2 Review
Chen96
Chen
21 posts
#12431 Glyphin Alpha 1.2 Review
2 months, 2 weeks ago

I subscribed to Mikael's patreon when Glyphin first came out, and here's my experience using it. As a text editor in alpha stage, Glyphin inevitably lacks some of the features that other editors, such as vim, have. However, the author is very responsive to any emails I sent him on bug report and feature requests, and pushes out the fixes and improvements quickly. Here's a quick overview of Glyphin at its current stage.

The good parts:

Glyphin feels modern. It's a text editor that has both good user experience and performance. Its colorscheme and syntax higlighting can be customized, and the change is immediate; I didn't have to call a command like :so% or "eval-buffer", the changes apply right when I save the customization files.

The bad parts:

Glyphin lacks ways to navigate through text quickly with a keyboard. I had to use mouse to do most of the operations, such as splitting pane, switching pane, and so on. I am used to editing and moving using keyboard only, so I can't switch to Glyphin yet until that feature is added. Project mechanism is nice, but editing everything that's not already a Glyphin project is quite tedious, as the editor accept absolute path for opening files if the file is not in a project.

Alex
Telash
Mikael Johansson
46 posts
1 project
#12435 Glyphin Alpha 1.2 Review
2 months, 2 weeks ago

Thanks for the review!

About your last part. If you just type in a file name it creates/opens it in the current projects directory. And ctrl+o prewrites the current directory. Hopefully that makes file opening a little less horrible until I have improved that part.

Chen96
Chen
21 posts
#12446 Glyphin Alpha 1.2 Review
2 months, 2 weeks ago

Thanks for the tip!

Alex